Tuesday 13 March 2012

River, 18 months

By 18 months, I had (sort of) gotten over the shock of it all & was in Proactive Pushy Mum Mode:


"Well it's been just over a month since my last journal voicing my concerns that River was probably on the Autistic Spectrum- although it feels like a lot longer ago than that.
I managed to get our GP to refer us to the Paediatrician, who have a waiting list but have given us an appointment for the end of March. I'm really pleased, as some paeds refuse to assess a child for autism until the age of 2 or 3!
We are seeing our health visitor on Friday who is going to do a SOGS- don't really know what that means but think she will assess where he is on his milestones by attempting to read a book to him, stack blocks with him etc (he will ignore her during these, I'm sure of it!) then refer him to to MAISEY- so that an occupational therapist, pyschologist etc will all assess him separately then have a meeting to decide on his diagnosis.
I asked the health visitor if we could have a referral to a speech & language therapist, but she said they usually won't see a child before 2 & a quarter. I expained that I could understand if he had another way of communicating with me like pointing etc but because of all his other autistic traits, he has no way of communicating his needs. She said she'd see what she could do.
HOWEVER- I then discovered online that you can self-refer for speech therapy! So I emailed them a referral form & received a letter this weekend saying our referral was successful & they will be sending us an appointment shortly to assess him!!! Very good news, although it's just so typical that nobody offers you this information- you have to spend hours researching to find it."

No comments:

Post a Comment